Tonight before my Lupron injection I decided to re-read the papers the clinic gave me about the IVF procedure.
I know we attended the workshop where they explained all of this but it feels like pre-natal classes versus actually being in labour. They really are two different things. The thought of labour was way worse than actually being in labour.
Back to my interesting/horrific reading. First, I'm a little freaked about the egg retrieval. They talk about how you get the iv, and then the freezing of the cervix, oh and my favourite: the medication that makes the heart go faster and your mouth dry. Anxiety! Oh, and how you aren't supposed to get up to go pee without the nurses assistance. Add to that the fact that hubs doesn't really handle this stuff very well. (When in labour with little dude, he almost passed out during my emergency c-section and goes green talking about it still to this day almost 5 years later). So as I am reading, I start to freak about him being there. But I can't go in there with my Mom. Not the sort of thing an anxiety ridden basket case like myself needs to read.
Then, I decided to flip a few pages, like I was reading a home decorating magazine to find a part I would like. I started reading the page on Embryo Transfer. At the clinic we're at, they pretty much guarantee a 50% success rate (for pregnancy). Oh, and a 25% chance of twins. La dee da. I keep reading. Hold on, go back. 25% chance of twins?! Dude. That means that one in every 4 couples that walks into that clinic gives birth to twins?! Now don't get me wrong. I love twins as much as the next lady. I smile at them, I think they are cute. I even admire the double stroller. But me, with twins? I don't know.
When I mentioned this to my Mom and hubs after, they assured me not to worry. My mom offered to keep one of the babies. Hubs offered up the other one to his mom. They were laughing it off. I am seriously freaked. But then, hubs had a good point. He gave me the look and said, "Why do you do this? Why do you get ahead of yourself? Always, always. Relax. We'll cross that bridge if and when we get there. Have some pineapple."
So I did. And I calmed down. For the veterans, I would love some support. I am sure there must be worse things than the egg retrieval....
Quads turn 2!
6 years ago




I wish that I an experience that I could share with you! We were facing down IVF right before we found out we were pregnant from our last IUI and there is so much information, you can't help but be overwhelmed. I feel like if you have gone through labor though, you can do just about anything. I'm right there with you though, totally a worrier and thinking about all the details before I really need to. I hope you're feeling better this morning!
ReplyDeleteIn my case the shots and hormonal mood swings before hand were much worse than the retrieval. You won't remember any of it- they give you medicine to relax you and then before you know it you're done. The transfer is a piece of cake too- you'll get to see your embryos being put in on the u/s screen and it is amazing. Don't worry- everything will be fine!
ReplyDelete