Friday, April 8, 2011

A Fun Weekend Update

Friday morning we had our appointment with the psychologist. In Ontario, if you want to undergo IVF, you have to have a consultation with a psychologist. So, we show up at the Fertility Clinic at 7:30 on time. On route, I asked DH to stop for coffee, but he refused because he was worried we were going to be late. He and I don't handle the day well without our coffee.

Anyway, we show up for our appointment and out comes the psychologist and she looks exactly like the actress who played Bridget Jones' mother in the movie. And then she starts talking to us, and she keeps changing accents. One moment, she's purely British, and the next, she's Canadian. DH was trying not to crack up. I kept giving him the look to cut it out.

So, we had to talk about our infertility struggle, why we were considering IVF, what we do if it doesn't work out, what is the stress in our life, and how things are in the bedroom. Can you imagine being serious with someone like that? Basically, DH checked out and I had to pull out my acting training to answer this woman with a straight face. I don't know how I did it, but we got through the appointment.

Is there something seriously wrong with me? Shouldn't I have been crying my eyes out? I've never seen a psychologist in my life, and I was secretly looking forward to DH and I lying down on leather couches and talking to Lorraine Bracco, like Tony Soprano did. Instead, we got Brigit Jones' mother. Just our luck.

I'm actually surprised at how well I'm handling things. Lupron makes me feel like I have a bad case of PMS, especially in the evening. I am so grumpy with my husband. Everything he seems to say or do makes me snappy. I feel so bad for him! Also, I'm very tired after dinner and need to sleep early. In addition to this, I have a pain in the small of my back every night, so DH has been great at giving me back rubs. This week, I want to schedule some me time for a massage.

Last night was my cousin's engagement party. My brother and SIL were there and couldn't wait for us to sit down with them. It took them about 5 seconds to announce that they're pregnant. It's # 2 for them.

Now, in that moment I had a choice. A choice to be sad, mad, and jealous. Or to react this way, which is what I did:

I am so happy for them, I know they've been trying for a while and I wouldn't wish this roller coaster I'm on to anyone. The baby is due early December. I know it may be wishful thinking, but if we are successful, our baby would be due in January and the babies would be the same age growing up...do I dare to dream or is that a classic IVF rookie mistake?

It's Sunday today and my parents 42nd anniversary. My plan is to finish the laundry, pack the dining room, do some work for work go out for lunch and maybe catch a movie with little dude. Hope everyone else had a fun weekend!

2 comments:

  1. You HAVE to dream of that - it would be fabulous!

    Your psychologist experience sounds movie-worthy. Glad you made it through!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant imagine how hard it was to keep a straight face:)

    I think its godo to dream. Praying that your ivf cycle is sucessful!

    ReplyDelete

A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single supportive comment.