Thursday, May 19, 2011

Long Version of the BFP

I decided to post this as my bathroom blurb from yesterday was way too anti-climactic for my liking, but I didn't have time - it was a crazy day at school and last night was the Welcome to Kindergarten Workshop for new students and parents. Can you believe last night and tonight I have to work until at least 8pm? Kill me!

Anyway, back to yesterday. I had a very fitful sleep and then woke up bright and early to get showered and ready. I seemed to be moving in slow motion. I kept telling myself to hurry up. When I finally got in my car, it was pouring rain, and I realized it would take me a while to get to the clinic. I finally arrived, signed in, sat down and the tech, Maria promptly called me to take my blood.

Maria and I are buddies. We always laugh about my small veins, she loves to see pictures on my iphone of little dude and she always tells me to stay positive. I sat down in the chair and she took my blood and told me she was nervous for me. Her fingers were crossed, and she actually got teary eyed, which caused me to start crying. I told her I would be ok no matter what, and she told me that the Dr or Nurse L would call me around lunch time. A quick hug, and I left.

I arrived at Lord E, one of my favourite of the 4 schools I work at and planted myself in the library. The librarian and I were seeing a variety of classes and I had agreed to co-teach with her. Now, the librarian is also my good buddy Kim. I like to call her sis, because that's how close we are. I told her I was going to get the call and she replied as follows: "Well dude, I'm your good luck charm, because 12 years ago, when Shelly was a teacher (she's now a VP at Tom's school) she got the call from the same clinic that she was pregnant. I laughed.

I was therefore surprised when my iphone rang at 9:30 with Dr W's office # on it. It was Nurse L. She asked me how I was, and then asked me why I left the clinic without stopping by the lab to say hi to her. I told her there was alot of traffic and I had to get back to work. She then asked me what I was taking. I told her the pio shots, my pre-natal vitamin, and some other vitamins that I take. She then asked me if I was near a chair to sit down. I sat down. She then said, "congratulations, my dear, you are very pregnant!" I literally started freaking out - she told me to calm down, drive slowly to go tell Tom and to keep taking my vitamins and to go back on Friday for more blood work. Also, she had already told Dr W, who was with patients, but sent her congrats.

I ran back into the library and Kim was doing a reading lesson with the grade ones. She looked up, nervous as could be. I told her I just got the call, and she was indeed a good luck charm. She put the book down, told the kids to talk and ran over to me to hug me. We were both crying. I told her I had to go tell Tom.

I drove down the road to Tom's school, ran to his class, only to discover it was empty as it was recess. I waited for the bell and finally him and the kids arrived in the class. I looked at him and yelled, "It worked!!!" I could see the relief all over his face. He told the kids to start reading and stepped into the hallway. Tears in his eyes, he looked at me and said two words" Thank God!" We chatted a few more minutes and then I ran back to school.

In the meantime I called my mom and my mother in law who both totally freaked out.

I have a busy day at work again and then I go for bloodwork tomorrow. This just all feels so surreal. It's really unbelievable. I have so many reflections that I want to write but I will save those for when I have more time.

I am so grateful for everyone's supportive comments. I know I have a long way to go still but I really think this is the year that our dreams will come true!

4 comments:

  1. Cried when I read this! SO happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to give you a very loud WOOOHOOO right now, but people may stare at me :) So so so happy for you all and can't wait to read more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations :)) What wonderful news... great to hear some good news today :) Sooo happy for you and look forward to hearing all about your little growing bub xoxo

    ReplyDelete

A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single supportive comment.