Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Good News, Bad News, Humbled

So it's been a while and now I have some news as per the title of this post...

Good News:

I went to the Fertility Clinic on Monday to learn how to inject myself with Gonal-F when I get my period this weekend. The nurse was great and told me not to be surprised if IUI worked on the first try for us. My husband's counts are improving, we've had a successful pregnancy before and my eggs are borderline small - so all things considered, she thinks we have a good shot (no pun intended!). It was great hearing that. I am also going to be contacting a local acupuncturist who specializes in infertility.

Bad News:

I went shopping last Friday and let's just say it was traumatic. I have been carrying around an extra 15 lbs since my son was born, but I could tell after shopping that it's more than that since I was barely fitting into a size 14. So last night I bought a scale to find out the official weight gain.This morning was a bit horrific when I stepped on it. I have been having a food renaissance for about the last year, since we sold our house and moved in with my parents (a long story for another post). Since my dear hubby packed the scale, I forgot how much of an anchor it is for me and I have put on about 15 pounds!

That makes me 30 pounds heavier than I was when I conceived my son. ACK! Thus, today was the first day of my new eating healthy plan. It's not an official diet, I'm just not on the eating rampage I've been on since all this infertility stuff started taking over my brain. I'm not a drinker or a smoker or even an athletic type...food is my glorious drug and I need to take a vacation from indulging myself.

Humbled:

Last week I was devastated to learn that one of my ex-colleagues at the school I left and a dear friend who is only 40 has been diagnosed with ALS, or Lou Gherig's disease. It's been tough accepting the fact that this horrific fatal disease has chosen one of the funniest, talented and most athletic people I know. Not to mention what a fabulous teacher he is. Again, why? And again the feelings of guilt of feeling sorry for myself.

Then, today I had a conversation with a grade 4 teacher I've been working with all year who would like to apply for my job as there are vacancies internally for literacy and numeracy coaches and she ended up confiding in me that she's been married for 5 years, has had 2 miscarriages and cares for her mother and aunt who both are in homes and have Huntington's disease. She has a 50% chance of inheriting it and is doing genetic testing this summer and is on the fence about having children of her own. I was so humbled when I spoke to her...again...why do we look at the glass as half empty rather than half full?

I just feel renewed that God is telling me about the miracles in my life and not to discount them...

No comments:

Post a Comment

A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single supportive comment.