Sunday, December 11, 2011

34 Weeks and a Hospital Visit for False Labour

So, Thursday was quite the day for me. After my angry rant about how useless I felt in all areas of my life, I took my mom to Stathis' Christmas concert at school. It was hilarious watching him and the other children in Kindergarten perform. After school, he fell asleep at my parents house so I had some time to sort my head out and straighten out my house. Stathis woke up at my parents and then came home and then it was time for him to go to bed. We finally got him settled around 10 and then for some reason, I forgot that I was pregnant and decided to run up the stairs. As soon as I made it to the top, I felt a tightening around my abdomen and had to pee. When I wiped, there was blood - not bright red blood, but brownish red. Of course I freaked out, Tom had to calm me down and then we called the hospital and they wanted us to come in after a few questions.

My parents rushed over (it's very nice having them right next door!) and we were off to the hospital. As soon as I got there, they had a room ready for me, had me change, pee in a cup and got me hooked up to the monitor. We heard both heart-beats and I could feel lots of movement. The Dr on call came in quite quickly and did an internal and told me my cervix was only about a fingertip open but there was blood on her glove. She recommended that I stay overnight for observation and that I take two doses of a steroid shot for the twins' lungs.

I ordered Tom to go home around midnight and over the course of the night started having contractions so then I had to explain to the nurses that it was the way they had my lying down (on my back) rather than my side. The problem with lying on my side was that the contractions would stop but they couldn't monitor the babies becuase they were sliding behind each other.

At 7:30, after a rather sleeless night, they wheeled me down to ultrasound. After a 2 and a half hour ultrasound, I learned the twins looked ok. She weighs 4lbs 10 oz and he weighs 4 lbs 7 oz. They will not require NICU time if delivered over 5lbs so I plan on eating like a championa!! As I was rleased from ultrasound, Tom arrived - they had called him a supply teacher at school. Then I was wheeled back up to labour and delivery and hooked back up to the monitor again. The babes were moving around but I was exhausted. The new Dr on call arrived about half an hour after that and said that according to the ultrasound, the cervix was still closed and long and after a few questions she decided to release me on the condition that I came back that evening for the second steroid shot, and that I would take it easy.

We then went to Burger King (don't ask me why, but I had an insane craving for a whopper with cheese) and then came home. I showered and slept and have been trying to keep it easy. Today, my mother in law is coming over to help us set up the nursery and pack the hospital bags. Can you believe that we still haven't packed them? At the hospital, they advised me to get ready because these babes can come at any time.

I'm 34 weeks today. The spotting has pretty much stopped and I can feel the babes move. Last night, Tom took Stathis to our friends house for their son's birthday and I started going through the 3 bins I have of Stathis' baby stuff. My mom and I washed and folded all the new pink and blue stuff. I definitely have everything we need, it's just a matter of getting it all set up.

My next ultrasound is planned for the 13th and then I see my OB on the 14th of this week. I'm curious to see what he has to say and if he's going to start increasing ultrasounds, NST's, and appointments. My family are all betting on whether these are going to be 2011 babies or 2012 babies. Adding to my poor parent's stress is the fact that Diane may be induced tomorrow. She is now past her due date and is anxiously awaiting the arrival of her baby...my Dad is going up to see her and Evan today and my Mom is staying down here to help us out with Stathis.

When it rains, it pours!!!

5 comments:

  1. Lucky for you, it's Christmas candy season, so you have lots of fun-sized chocolate to help you get those twins up to 5lbs! So exciting for you and your family. Definitely get that bag packed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It really could be any day now! Eat and relax until then though. What an exciting weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, what an excitement! But I'm glad your two little ones stayed inside for the moment, give them some extra time to bake. And you take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! that sounds really scary. Was all that from running? I am glad to hear your twins are all good and that you have your family with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad the twins can cook for alittle longer! What an ordeal but in true Greek fashion the parents were over in a second to help out.

    ReplyDelete

A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single supportive comment.