Friday, January 14, 2011

RE Visit

Yesterday, I went to go see Dr W for a belated follow up from our third failed IUI cycle in November. The good news: dh's count and motility are up, but still on the border of low. The bad news: IUI isn't working for us. Dr. W recommended another 3 IUI cycles or IVF if we could afford it. I explained that at 36 I was more inclined to try IVF as the chances of success are much higher.

She explained how it works and how much it costs and also that in our case she would hope to retrieve 12 eggs, fertilize 6 and insert only 2 and freeze the rest. She also said that ICSI would be optional for us, but DH wants to pay the extra money to do it. I am so excited/scared! More excited than scared. In Canada, we have to undergo IVF training and a consultation with a psychologist so we have those appointments set for beginning-mid February and then Dr W wants to re-do all the tests she ran last year to make sure everything is ok with both of us.

In November, I had lots of eggs and dh had sperm. We have a child so that proves I can carry a pregnancy and his sperm can fertilize my egg...so DR W is very hopeful and positive that IVF will work for us. And with the money we put aside, it looks like we will be able to try it at least 3 times.

In the meantime, she talked to me like a girlfriend. She's so awesome. She talked about how I should not let this be too consuming. How to handle stress (workout, healthy eating), spend time with DH and little dude. Laugh every day. Find a philanthropic outlet. Be grateful for what I have and to understand another one is just a bonus. That many only children today grow up to be well adjusted adults. She also told me to forgive myself for the choice I made to wait to have my children. That I shouldn't regret the choices I made for my career. That choice made me a better person and a better Mom to the one child I do have.

DH was awesome. I thought we would have to wait until the summer to do this, but he called the bank and we are going to re-finance the mortgage and take the money out for the procedure this spring. I can't believe it's actually going to happen!!!

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! Your doc sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. marianne- You asked how old my sister was. Shes only 18.

    ReplyDelete

A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single supportive comment.