Saturday, August 6, 2011

40 day memorial...

It's been over a month since my wonderful brother passed away suddenly. It seems like it was just yesterday at times and at other times it feels like it's been forever. I am having a hard time adjusting to the fact that I will never hear his voice or see his beautiful eyes and smile again.

Tomorrow we are having a traditional 40 day memorial service for him in the Greek Church. Greek's have 40 day memorials because we believe that Christ stayed on Earth for 40 days after he was resurrected before he went to join God in the Kingdom of Heaven. So, we will pray for Chris to have a safe journey to Heaven. After the service we will serve koliva, which is boiled wheat mixed with berries and sweets, to symbolize the cycle of life, go the cemetery and then out for lunch.

My parents have joined my brother Tony and his family in Vancouver as we wait for our houses to be completed. Diane (Chris's wife) and I are here and trying to get through the days as best as we can. This is the hardest thing we have ever gone through. I find it so hard to find joy in anything, like I feel guilty. Does that make sense?

My husband and some friends took me away to Niagara Falls for 3 days to a water park and it was good to get away, I did have fun. I know I will never be the same person that I was before this happened...

On Wednesday I went to my obstetrician for my check-up. I am now almost 16 weeks pregnant with the twins and I got to hear both of their heart-beats, which was such a relief. My next appointment and ultra sound are booked for September 7th - that is when we will find out the genders of the babies. I can't wait for that!

We will be busy the next few weeks as we get possession of our house on August 25th, school starts September 1st and then we will be ramping up for the arrival of the twins. At least God gave me some stuff to keep busy with...

I hope you are all doing well and although I haven't commented, I have been reading all of your blogs faithfully...

God Bless...

7 comments:

  1. Marianne, I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother. I read your previous post when on the road and had no way to post a comment. I'm glad you have such a close family and you can go through the grieving process together. I hope you'll have a wonderful 40 day memorial service tomorrow and that you have many fond memories of your brother that can help you get through the hard times. Take good care of yourself and the two little ones inside you. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so sorry to read about your brother. I hope you and your family are finding as much comfort as possible in such a sad situation. I am glad the twins are doing well and I'm excited to hear team pink, blue, or both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking of you oftern, I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine losing a sibling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how I missed your last post. I am so so sorry for your loss. We lost my BIL 3 years ago and it still seems like yesterday. Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother, may he rest in peace and in God's arms. I also have a 40 day Greek memorial next week, for my friend who died from suicide. It such sad losses in our lives. I'm glad though your twins are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so very very sorry about you brother!!! Imust have missed your last post!:( My brother passed suddenly of a heart attack 2 years ago. It was and is very tragic. I still cry about it thinking about it. It is so painful when a loved one dies, but when it is without saying goodbye..that is really tricky and painful. One of the hardest funerals i went to...I hope you take time to grieve. This must be hard since you are pregnant. Such a happy time, yet...sadness I am sure can take over.:( hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. My prayers are still coming your way!

    ReplyDelete

A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single supportive comment.