Monday, January 16, 2012

Labour and Delivery and Recovery

Originally, my c-section was scheduled for January 3rd, but at about 1:30 am December 30th, my water decided to break. Luckily, Stathis was having a sleep-over at my parents, so I woke Tom up and we got ready and headed to the hospital. I was still fighting that awful cold/cough/flu bug and that evening had developed a rather attractive case of pink eye with mucus constantly streaming out of my eyes. I looked rather like the she-devil and when we arrived at the hospital, they promptly ushered us into a birthing suite and informed us we were in isolation. Every time a nurse or doctor would come in, they would robe up so they wouldn't catch my horrific pink eye. Luckily, they got me some eye drops so by about 10am I was looking and feeling better, thanks to the iv and all the anti-biotics they were giving me. At about 12:30 pm I went to the OR and the babies were delivered via c-section at about 1:05 and 1:06 pm respectively.

The moment we saw the babies was so incredible. Christopher looked exactly like a mini-version of Stathis. He was only 5lbs 2oz which is so tiny compared to Stahis who was 8 lbs. Eleni was so calm and chubby, just like how I had envisioned her all these months. Tom did great, he coached me through what was going on, held my hands and told me what was going on with each baby. Miraculously, they each didn't need any NICU time.

My recovery went pretty well, we were in our private room by about 5:00pm and I could feel all my body parts. At about 5:30 my parents, inlaws and Tom's sister Vicky came. I had asked all other friends and family not to come as I was sick and still in isolation and they would have to wear masks and robes.

On Saturday afternoon, they took my blood and I was very low in hemoglobin so I had to have two blood transfusions. Saturday night was New Year's. My mom stayed with me until about 10 and then Tom came and spent the night with me. It was really sweet to be together with the babies and to ring in the new year with them.

Sunday, New Year's Day we were released at about 1 and then we came home. The week was a blur. I was still sick, so went to see my doctor. He gave me anti-biotics and a puffer for my cough. I explained I was concerned the twins were lethargic and looking a bit jaundiced so he made me take them to the ER. We did that on Tuesday night but their levels were ok. Then, the hospital called back and we had to go back on Wednesday for follow up. Friday we took the babies to be weighed. This whole time, I am exhausted and feeling pretty weak. Saturday morning, I bent down and stood up and suddenly had a bizarre dizzy spell and my heart started racing and I couldn't get it to go down. Then, I started feeling chest pain and shortness of breath. Needless to say, withing about 10 minutes the paramedics were at my house and I was being rushed to the hospital on a stretcher.

I was having an episode called an SVT. Basically, my heart had an electrical mis-firing and couldn't slow down. They actually had to stop my heart and re-start it to get it to slow down. I was in the hospital all day for observation after that and finally released to come home in the evening. It was pretty scary, but quite common, especially after twin pregnancies. I go to see the cardiologist a few more times this month for follow up. As per his advice, I have been taking it VERY easy since. My best friend Cristina comes and sleeps over on Monday and Thursday nights and my Dad comes on Wednesday nights. This way, I can sleep at night, which is when the twins are most fussy and can recover.

We haven't had a tonne of visitors because of my recovery, but it's been so much fun having the babies, even though they are a lot of work. Stathis is an awesome big brother, he is always kissing and cuddling the babies, and willing to help me get whatever I need for them. My mom comes over every day to help. My friends have all been dropping off food for us, so we haven't had to cook a tonne and we haven't had to buy a lot of take-out.

We are doing well, just taking it slow, the parade of visitors will have to wait a couple of more weeks. The babies now weigh 6lbs (Chris) and 6lbs 6oz (Eleni). Take care everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see pictures of your beautiful babies. I'm so glad you have friends and family to help you during this time. You NEED TO REST and take it easy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are okay, that must have been scary!! Cant wait to see more pics of the twins!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so scary! i'm so glad you're ok and that the twins are so healthy. thank goodness for wonderful family and friends that help out so much. i'm really glad you have them so that you can focus on recovering. take it easy! can't wait to see pics of the twins. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to usher in a new year, having two beautiful babies in your arms. Even though the couple weeks didn't go as plan I bet you are just loving those babies up.

    ReplyDelete

A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single supportive comment.